Sunday, October 17, 2010
Up-Cycled T-Shirt Dress
And...we made the "Up-Cycled T-Shirt Dress".
You should now have two pieces that, when unfolded, are the back and the front halves of the new dress. Lay down the dress pieces against one of the remaining t-shirt pieces to cut the sleeves out. (To do this, I laid the newly cut pieces down and traced where the "sleeve" ended; then I put the pattern over all of that, lining up the cut "sleeve" and the pattern; I traced around the sleeve on the pattern - my pattern was ruffled on the edge, so I added a little bit extra to make up for the ruffled portion; cut it out, leaving room for a seam allowance.) You should have four sleeve pieces. Line them up to make sure that all pieces are about the same size (so that the sleeves look even once you sew them on).
Pin the front and back pieces together along the sides and along the shoulders. Cut out the neck more - you should need to do this to make sure it fits over your daughter's head (trust me - - I didn't check and I had to cut the neck once, then re-cut again (!) to get it right...you want to only have to sew the neckline hem ONE time - lol). Pin around the neckline hem (I used about 1/4" hem).
There was a large paint splatter on one part of the new dress (from an old painting job that Mr. NoNo did). Since I couldn't cut that part out without ruining the dress - or making it waaaaay too short, I decided to make a little flower with an extra strip of fabric and just sew that over the paint stain.