Follow me for tips to live a richer, simpler life! My family lives "better" for less and enjoys our everyday life - and yours can too!



Monday, July 18, 2011

Freezing Beets

I have decided that since I have a TON of beets, I will spare my family another week of beet-related meals and save them for when the weather turns cooler.
I love beet soup and quick (and easy) microwave beets. I also love shredded beets in salads with some apples and either pecans or walnuts (for some reason beets in salad makes me think of early fall and not summer).
I freeze A LOT of stuff - right now, I have beans, bulgur, brown rice, cooked beans, extra pasta sauce, extra freeze-dried herbs, homemade "ice-cream", and soup base in my freezer. I will literally attempt to freeze anything if it means that I can save it before it goes bad or before it goes to waste. I have never attempted to freeze beets before, so I won't be able to tell you - until maybe September or October - - how they come out, but I will be sure to mention it once I use them again.

This was my method to freeze the beets:

Clean beets; trim off ends; submerge in a pot full of water; bring to a boil; Continue to boil for approx. 25 minutes (until you can insert a knife or fork into the largest one easily).

Drain pot of hot water; add cold water and (lots!) of ice cubes to cover; leave for approx. 15 minutes (or until beets are cool enough to handle).


Peel beets (I use wax or parchment paper on my cutting board so that I have less (beet juice) to clean up).


Slice beets, if desired (I sliced some and left the small ones whole).


Lay out on parchment paper on a small cookie sheet or jelly roll sheet and put in the freezer overnight.

Put in freezer bags to save for later!!


What kinds of things do you freeze?

You can find me at some of these cool linky parties this week!
More later! :)