Follow me for tips to live a richer, simpler life! My family lives "better" for less and enjoys our everyday life - and yours can too!



Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Pudding

I got the distinct pleasure a couple of months ago of getting to help Lindsay Wolf (of www.kissmyvegan.com) write a cookbook review. The review was for Vegan Chocolate Pudding that was coming out in a new cookbook.
Actually, I don't know Lindsay personally, but I follow her on Twitter and have been a fan of hers for quite some time - ever since I read her book Kiss Me, I'm Vegan. I love cookbooks because I get - first and foremost - a lot of good meals from them, but also a lot of inspiration and ideas from them, and I (generally!) learn some new tricks or methods that I haven't seen or heard of before.
She put out a tweet one day asking for volunteers to make, taste, and review this recipe for Sharon Valencik's new book Sweet Utopia.
I was so happy to be one of the reviewers! My review and pictures from her blog are here. Her blog post for that day also has recipies for PB & Jelly Thumbprint Cookies and Spiced Pumpkin and Cranberry Muffins.
Let me tell you there are some things that I miss being vegan - and this chocolate pudding was a-mazing; it was unbelievably chocolate-y and creamy - and it took me back to my pre-vegan days. Mr. NoNo couldn't believe that this was vegan - and I am thinking that all of her recipes are the same style!! Yum, Yum, Nom, Nom.... I can't wait to get a copy of Sharon's book so that I can try out more of these great desserts!

Since I was "testing", I didn't modify this recipe at all.

Divine Chocolate Pudding

1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 c. granulated vegan sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
2 c. vanilla soymilk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract or additional vanilla extract
1/3 non-dairy chocolate chips.

Sift the cocoa powder into a medium saucepan. Mix in the sugar, cornstarch, and slat until there are no lumps. Place on low to medium heat and slowly whisk in the soymilk until the mixture is smooth. Cook on medium heat, whisking constantly, for about 10 minutes, or until thickened (it should be the consistency of cake batter). Do not let the mixture come to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the extracts. Then stir in the chocolate chips and continue stirring until they are completely melted.

Pour evenly into six-6 oz. ramekins or a large bowl. Cool, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 4-8 hours before serving, or until thoroughly chilled. Store leftover pudding tightly covered in the refrigerator.
 
More later!! :)