Follow me for tips to live a richer, simpler life! My family lives "better" for less and enjoys our everyday life - and yours can too!



Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Week of Menus

We had such a busy weekend!! We spent today at the OC Fair (Miss No-No was an "entertainer" since she was with her dance group). We have taken Miss No-No to the fair a couple of times before, but she doesn't remember ever having been - - she marveled at the rides, at the food, drank cherry lemonade, hung out with her friends from her dance group, and then got her face painted. It was a long hot day, but a lot of fun!!

{image from google.com}

This is what we are having this week:

Monday
BBQ Tempeh Tacos

Tuesday
(Zuke and Tomato) Minestrone Soup
Salad
Rosemary Foccacia (store bought)

Wednesday
Baked Zuke Boats
Bean Salad
Pitas

Thursday

Friday
Garden Burgers / Left over Bonanza

Saturday
Out for dinner

Sunday
Pasta Dinner
Salad
Garlic Bread

Notes:
1. Tempeh tacos are so easy to make, and sooooo delicious. Tempeh is a bean cake that you can buy in a health food store. You could easily substitute ground round (I like Yves Brand) or Extra Firm Tofu (if you are subbing, skip the steaming step). Slice and steam tempeh for 15 minutes. Cube or crumble tempeh and add to a skillet with BBQ Sauce. Cook for another 5 - 10 minutes. Put into tortillas and top with whatever toppings you have on hand.
2. For minestrone soup: I usually saute some onion until it's translucent, add in some minced garlic (30 seconds), and then add in slice zukes (or whatever other veggies you have on hand, soup is forgiving!). I will also add in some pepper, a little bit of salt, a bay leaf, about 1/8 - 1/4 tsp each of dried oregano, parsley, thyme, and basil (I don't measure, I just pour some in my hand). Cook that up for another 5 minutes or so and then add in some broth and either a bunch of diced tomatoes (or a can) and let it simmer for another 15 - 30 minutes. Add cooked pasta before serving (small shapes work best) or add in uncooked pasta after tomatoes have gone in (but so that you still have 10 minutes left to cook.
3. For zuke boats: I scoop the middle of the zukes out and then quick-cook the boats/shells in the microwave (in a pyrex pie plate with a little bit of water) for a couple of minutes (until they are soft on the inside, but still firm on the outside). Put the scooped out parts in a mixing bowl. In the bowl, I add some spices (parsley, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper), some chopped onion, some garlic, and some bread crumbs. I mix it together, cook in a saute pan for a little bit (approx 10 minutes) and then pile it back into the zucchini shells, top with some more bread crumbs and broil on low for a couple of minutes (until slightly starting to brown on top). I add (vegan) cheese, if I have it, and then broil on low for about 3 more minutes, until the cheese is melting and starting to brown. Watch what you put under your broiler (I have a light in my oven that I keep on so I can see) - - it's amazing how quickly things burn in there!!! :)

Clearly, my pantry is overflowing with zucchini. I am running out of ideas, and I have half a crisper full of these babies - Help me out here.. 
What kinds of things to you make with an over-abundance of zucchini??

More later!! :)