Follow me for tips to live a richer, simpler life! My family lives "better" for less and enjoys our everyday life - and yours can too!



Monday, May 14, 2012

A Week of Menu Ideas - Kale, Tempeh, and Asparagus

After this weekend spent not cooking (anything at all!!), I am having a hard time getting back into the swing of things! (:  I was being "spoiled" by no chores... Hope everyone else had a Happy Mother's Day (weekend), too.

What's in your kitchen this week?
I got some great looking asparagus this week so we are definitely using that! I also got inspired when I went out for Mediterranean food this weekend (!) so we are having a bowl-style meal that is a spin-off of those flavors.
I love the bowl-style meals - - easy to put together and serve, easy to clean up, and everything is all together in one layered bowl of goodness!

{Image from about.com}
Here's what I have planned:

Monday
Lentil, Steamed Kale, and Red Quinoa Bowl (1)
with Pasta Sauce

Tuesday
Chinese Style Glazed Tempeh
with Chow Mien Soba Noodles
 
Wednesday
Potato and Asparagus Soup
{Image from PETA.org}
Garlic Bread

Thursday
Garden Burgers and Salads

Friday
Dinner out

Saturday
Pizza and "chicken" fingers

Sunday
Pasta Dinner with Salad and Garlic Bread

Notes:
1. Lentil, Steamed Kale, and Red Quinoa Bowl: I have lentils pre-made in freezer bags in the freezer (so I will defrost enough lentils for us for tonight), but you could use canned or from the refrigerated section to make this a quick dinner. Quinoa takes about 15 minutes to cook so get that going and when it's almost done, in another pot or skillet, start steaming the kale. Steam kale for 5 - 10 minutes, add in cooked (defrosted!) lentils, cooked quinoa, and pre-made or prepared pasta sauce until it gets to the consistency that you are comfortable with. Make sure it's warmed through and you are ready to serve. Could be served with pita bread, pita chips, wheat rolls, or just crackers on the side for a complete, hearty meal!

How was your weekend? Did you do anything special for your momma? (:
More later?