Follow me for tips to live a richer, simpler life! My family lives "better" for less and enjoys our everyday life - and yours can too!



Saturday, January 9, 2010

New Year's Delight

So, as usual, we made black-eyed peas for New Year's Day...and by "we" I mean that SN reminded me every hour until I started that today's the day we always have them and then I actually did all the cooking,cutting up and cleaning....I think that's how it's worked every single year.... hahaha!

I am really excited about the black eyed peas because making them vegan means I have to make some small adaptions, which is only the whole truth to a point....What I am REALLY trying to do is give my dad a "run for his money" so to speak!!! I think that I have finally gotten this thing adapted where a cook-off may be in the works for next year. However, I will probably be making them one or two more times before then just to perfect it. Also, since I couldn't find the killer recipe that I used last year, I took a couple (and what I could remember from last year) and added some stuff of my own. This year, I also used my pressure cooker (of course!) and pre-cooked beans that I bought in the freezer case

Black Eyed Peas - New Year's Day Style
16 oz. precooked black eyed peas
1/2 large onion, diced
3/4 package vegan sausage patties
1 large buillion cube crumbled
dried oregano
kosher salt
ground black pepper
bragg's aminos

Black eyed peas and diced onion go into the pressure cooker with about 1 1/2 quarts of boiling water or enough to cover the peas and a little bit more. On top, add in about 1/4 tsp dried oregano, 1/4 tsp kosher salt (you can always add more later, if needed), ground black pepper, and a couple of squirts of braggs aminos, and one large buillion cube crumbled. Get the pressure cooker going and cook, on medium, for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the vegan sausage patties in a separate skillet (in a little brush of oil) enough to get both sides browned and the patties heated through.
Once the peas are done cooking, quick release and stir to check consistency (they should be thick but not like stew yet).
Add in sausage patties (after cutting up), stir to mix, and add more salt (or braggs), if needed.

I generally serve over white rice with cornbread mixed in, but this came out so good on it's own, I didn't even bother with the rice this year - just mixed the cornbread in, added some hot sauce and we were good to go!!!

Miss M is up from her nap, so.....
More later!!!
:)