Follow me for tips to live a richer, simpler life! My family lives "better" for less and enjoys our everyday life - and yours can too!



Thursday, June 17, 2010

Mediterranean Dinner

Finally got my first really GOOD nights sleep all this week - - it was the first night Miss M wasn't in bed with us! sheesh! No one kicking me in the back, no one trying to roll over on to me, no one sharing my pillow in the middle of the night. Finally - aaaahhhhh!
Made a great dinner last night - - chickpea salad (from the wholefoods.com website - just tomatoes, olives, garbanzos, sliced yellow squash with vinaigrette over the whole thing, add pepper and toss - I made the beans in my pressure cooker the night before - delicious!), whole wheat couscous, and "honey" (read: agave syrup) glazed carrots with steamed sweet potatoes. Yum! It was fast and easy, and we had enough food that SN had seconds and Miss M and I both have the rest of the left overs in our lunches. I was impressed with myself, I must say - - that's the way I USED to cook! It's so much easier to make lunches when everything is right there in front of me, ready to go. Hopefully, I can remember how much easier it is even when I'm tired!! Hahahaa!
Still looking for something to make for dinner tonight - - I have zucchini and yellow squash from my CSA basket - - so that will be somewhere in there.
We also got black berries (yum!) in our basket this week and radishes (!) - I am going to have to find a good way to use all those up. Slicing one up and putting it into salad every day or night means I end up with a lot that go into the trash because I just don't go through them fast enough!

Glazed Carrots
1 bunch of carrots
1 T Earth Balance
1/2 - 3/4 T agave syrup
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
parsley
salt and pepper

Steam carrots until soft - - I used whole, young carrots so it took about 10 minutes. Drain water. Using the same pot, over medium heat, add in Earth Balance, agave syrup, and vinegar, swirl to mix. Add in steamed carrots and, as much as possible, cover the carrots with the "sauce". Continue to cook for approximately 5 minutes, letting the carrots soak up the sauce. Sprinkle parsley over the top (I used dried for this, so I added it a minute or two after putting in the carrots), add some salt and pepper.

More later!
:)