Follow me for tips to live a richer, simpler life! My family lives "better" for less and enjoys our everyday life - and yours can too!



Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Baked Sweet Potatoes

Made the most delicious baked sweet potatoes last night for dinner in record time! This recipe, modified from the EatingWell.com website, is excellent, fast, and definitely something I will make again. Previously, I would make sweet potatoes and add some Earth Balance and a little bit of either maple syrup or paprika, but this recipe is just as fast and tastes better. The original recipe called for black beans and cilantro in the salsa, but I didn't have either of those, so I modified using kidney beans and omitting the cilantro completely. The recipe also called for a garnish with sour cream, but I didn't want to make a big thing of sour cream for just two potatoes so I also omitted that. It probably would have added another layer of creamy-goodness to have the sour cream, so next time, I will include it, but the potatoes are actually very good just as described below!

Baked Sweet Potatoes
"Bake" potatoes any way you like - I used the microwave (after poking the potatoes all over). While potatoes cook, in a microwave safe bowl, mix together 1/2 can of kidney beans, 1 diced tomato, 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. coriander, and salt and a little bit of pepper. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Split sweet potatoes open (once you can, they are hot) and pour the "salsa" right into or over the potatoes.

I served the potatoes with leftover macaroni salad from Sunday's dinner and some grilled squash on the side.

Macaroni Salad
1/2 box cooked and cooled whole wheat pasta in small shapes (sometimes I use penne and just cut up once cooked)
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 small tomatoes, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced, optional
1/2 diced cucumber
3 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs dijon mustard
Vegan mayo
1 tsp. fresh diced dill weed or 1/4 tsp. dried

salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 can mashed garbanzo beans, optional

In a large bowl, mix the pasta, onion, celery, tomatoes, cucumber and red bell pepper, if using. Pour on olive oil, mayo, mustard, and spices. Mix together (I usually use a big tupperware container, put the lid on, and just shake everything up!). Add beans on top to mix in by hand later. Either serve immediately or chill and serve cold.


More later!
:)