Follow me for tips to live a richer, simpler life! My family lives "better" for less and enjoys our everyday life - and yours can too!



Monday, March 14, 2011

Everyday Hummus


I am constantly trying new things...and new variations of things...and adding new things to old recipes and standbys.
Hummus is something I play with all the time - I have tried every.single.recipe that I have been able to find!! I used to add olive oil until I got the right texture, but it ended up being so heavy that it didn't taste like the store bought versions, but something else entirely. Water or extra lemon juice is a better replacement - and keeps the whole thing light.

I love hummus, but I hate paying $3 or $4 for a little thing of hummus at the grocery store - - especially when I know that it costs *next to nothing* to make (especially if you cook the beans from dried). Another note on dried beans and hummus - when you make the beans yourself, the hummus comes out waaaaay creamier than if you use canned. But, I know that canned beans are easier and faster - and more convenient. And even I use canned beans at times just because it's so much simpler!

With all that being said, here's my latest version of hummus. I have been eating this with carrot sticks every single day for an afternoon snack - full of protein and easy to grab and throw in my lunch bag! I use a food processor when I double the recipe, but use my blender otherwise. I think the blender whips it all up better and makes it a lot smoother.

Everyday Hummus
1 can chickpeas, rinsed (or 2 cups pre-cooked)
1 - 2 garlic cloves, depending on how much you like garlic
1/4 cup of tahini
2 T. olive oil
1/2 t. sea salt
juice from 1/2 large sized lemon or juice 1 small lemon
cumin, oregano, parsley, paprika and pine nuts (for garnish; approx 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of each and 2 T. of pine nuts)

Combine chickpeas and sliced garlic cloves in food processor or blender until well blended (it's hard to over blend at this point, so go ahead!). Add in remaining ingredients (except garnishes) and blend again. Add warm or hot water and continue to blend to desired consistency. (At this point, remember that the hummus will "harden up" in the fridge, so add a little more water than you think you need.)
Move to serving dish (or Rubbermaid-type container for fridge storage) and stir in cumin, parsley, and oregano. Sprinkle additional spices on top and add remaining garnishes. Drizzle some olive oil over the top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve, dip, and enjoy!!

Something else that would be cool would be to add roasted red peppers (and you could probably reduce the olive oil a bit), or cilantro or even basil. I imagine this would also be excellent (and creamier?) with white beans.

What are your easy and fast snack recipe staples?
Personally, I love anything that's grab-and-go. The quicker the easier. I try to pre-prep snacks, like this hummus, but sometimes, I just grab what's easy (ie. leftovers, LaraBars, dry cereal, yogurt).

Let me know what your favorites are!

More later!  :)