Follow me for tips to live a richer, simpler life! My family lives "better" for less and enjoys our everyday life - and yours can too!



Monday, March 21, 2011

Soup Time - Indian Inspired Potato-Chard Stew

Since it is still cold here,
(I know.... it's California, but when it rains, it is cold....to us!)
we are still eating a lot of soup. And for those of you that know me, you know I LOVE my soups. This soup recipe was modified from Toni Fiore's book Totally Vegetarian. If you haven't seen this book, you should at least check it out from the library and see what's there. I have raved about Toni Fiore before - but, I do love the fact that 1) she makes killer vegan food, 2) it's fast and easy - and I usually have everything to make her dishes in my fridge - which means no special trips to the store just to try a recipe, and 3) she's Italian!! :) Not that the Italian part matters all that much, but she does put an Italian spin on A LOT of vegan dinners. The best thing about her food is that you.will.not.miss.the.meat. With my non-vegan Mr. No-No, that is something I love.
I modified this recipe slightly because I didn't want it to be too spicy for my little Miss No-No. This recipe is great because it's slightly spicy, slightly Indian-inspired, and so creamy that it's hard to believe that it is truly vegan (but, believe me, it is!). BTW - the creamy goodness comes from the coconut milk (which, I believe, would temper a pinch of cayenne a bit, if you added it for extra kick).

Toni Fiore's (slightly modified) Potato-Chard Stew

2 - 3 T olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
salt
1 medium sweet potato, cut into 2-in pieces
1/4 red pepper (raw), diced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 T ginger, grated
1/2 t ground coriander
1/4 t turmeric
1/2 can (full fat) coconut milk
1 bunch of swiss chard (center stems removed), chopped
1/2 lime, juiced and rind grated (and reserved)
chopped cilantro, for garnish

In a saucepan heated over medium-high, add oil. Add onions and sprinkle with a little bit of salt to make them sweat. Cook, stirring constantly, until translucent, approx 7 minutes. Add potato, pepper, garlic, ginger, and spices and cook, stirring, for 1 - 2 minutes. Add coconut milk and approx 1 cup of water and boil. Immediately, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add swiss chard and cook until wilted, approx. 10 minutes. Serve soup in deep bowls with a bit of lime juice, some grated rind, and a sprinkling of cilantro or parsley.

I took this to work the next day for lunch and it was still deeeelicious! :) 

Miss No-No also found this soup to be delicious with bread to dip into it!


Thanks to everyone for their comments on my last post. Turns out that Catherine from Our Village is a Little Different likes Target, too - for all their little gifts that she can get for her little ones! :)

What are your favorite kinds of soups? What other kinds of things do you usually serve to your family when the weather is cold and rainy?

Stay warm!
More later! :)