Follow me for tips to live a richer, simpler life! My family lives "better" for less and enjoys our everyday life - and yours can too!



Monday, January 16, 2012

A Week of Menus

It's Monday - Martin Luther King Day! :)
I think it's an awesome opportunity to talk to Miss No-No about standing up for what you believe in - and standing up for yourself. She's a little young to fully grasp the whole story (or for me to explain racism to her), but not entirely too young to understand why it's important to be strong in your beliefs.

{image from google.com}

...on another note, Chinese New Year is coming up!! I'm not Chinese - or even Asian - - but, I do love a reason to celebrate (lol), so we are having a lot of Asian themed food this week. For those of you that don't know, Chinese New Year is next Monday. We already went and got Miss No-No a cheongsam (a traditional Chinese dress) to wear to school next week for the celebration - - it's beautiful - white with pink flowers all over it. And, most importantly (!), she loves it. You can see her comments here about last year - and what she thought of me not making a big enough deal about Chinese New Year!

Here's what I have planned for this week:

Monday
Lettuce Wraps
Ramen Noodles
Miso Soup

Tuesday
Soup and Make-your-own Salad

Wednesday
Thai-Style Noodles (with Peanut Sauce and Veggies)

Thursday
Garden Burgers
Veggie Sticks / Skewers

Friday
Spring Rolls
Tofu Bites with Sweet and Sour Sauce

Saturday
Dinner out - Chinese Restaurant

Sunday
Portabella Mushroom Risotto
Spinach Salads

Notes:
1. For the Lettuce Wraps - - I modified the recipe by using tofu (which I diced up and then browned in a pan first), omitting the chestnuts, and using store-bought hoisin sauce. I also added diced, browned mushrooms to give the wraps more filling.
Miso Soup: I actually buy miso from a Asian market by my house and the recipe for miso soup is on the package. I follow the recipe as directed. It comes out great every time.
2. Soup: Is just left overs from two weeks ago that I froze. It's ready to re-heat and eat once we get home. The garlic bread is also frozen (I will take it out of the freezer the night before). I just sliced a baguette, added vegan butter and spices, wrapped it up in foil, and put in the freezer in a plastic freezer bag. Before I get the soup going and make the salad, I will pull the bread out and put it in the toaster oven to brown up.
3. Tofu Bites: Dice-sized pieces of tofu, browned up in a little bit of olive or coconut oil in a pan. Sweet and sour sauce
Spring Rolls: Asian rice string noodles (cooked), tofu cut into large matchsticks, julienned carrots, red peppers, and green peppers, torn lettuce leaves, and avocado (when we have it), rolled into softened rice papers (roll up like a burrito)...fast, easy, and delicious!
4. Risotto: Also leftovers that I froze and can now just heat and serve!

What are you doing to celebrate this week?
More later! :)