Follow me for tips to live a richer, simpler life! My family lives "better" for less and enjoys our everyday life - and yours can too!



Monday, August 20, 2012

A Week of Menu Ideas

Hey everyone!
How was your weekend?
It has been amazingly HOT here lately!! We walked to breakfast yesterday morning (at like 7am) and it was already burning up outside!! Sheesh. I heard on the news (again this week!!) that we are supposed to get a break this week, and I will be so happy when that happens!
The heat is sapping my creativity (lol). I'm getting a lot of cooking ideas from Pinterest lately - it seems so much easier - and more fun! - than going through cookbooks and recipe notes! (: I'm not always making the same exact thing, but I am getting a lot of good ideas there. Some times, I change things up based on what's in my cupboards or some "shortcut" cooking method that would make my cooking time faster.

Monday
Sweet Potato Burritos
Seared Broccoli

{Noodles from simplyreem.com}
Tuesday
Ginger Soba Noodles
Miso Soup

Wednesday
Red Beans (1)
Brown Rice
Sauteed Garlic Spinach

Thursday
Garden Burgers
Greek Salads

Friday (2)
Make Your Own Pizza
Frozen French Fries
Vegetarian Orange "Chicken"
Carrot Sticks

Saturday
Dinner Out

Sunday
Pasta and Homemade Marinara (3)
with Garlic Bread
Green Salads

Notes:

(1) Red Beans Recipe (adapted from Leanne Ely's recipe) New Orleans-Style Beans: In a skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat and saute 1/4 cup each: onion, green bell pepper and celery. Add 1 clove crushed garlic, 1/8 teaspoon thyme. Mix this 1 can of kidney beans beans and serve on top of rice with hot sauce and a little melted butter (or Earth Balance) with greens on the side.

(2) As you can tell, Friday is going to be a clean out my freezer night! I need some space in that thing so I am going to clean out what's there (we will have some things for dinner) and start making some room.

(3) I love this recipe and I really am planning on giving it to you guys one of these days. Basically, I use canned tomato sauce, add it some spices that I like and some shredded carrots (to make it sweet), a spoonful of tomato paste and then let it simmer for about 1/2 an hour (covered) on low. This is my MIL's recipe and I don't actually have it written down, I just know what to put in and how I can adapt it based on what I have. (:

What are you having?
More later! (: