Follow me for tips to live a richer, simpler life! My family lives "better" for less and enjoys our everyday life - and yours can too!



Monday, May 9, 2011

Roasted Mushroom Tacos

I was in the mood for quick tacos.... But since I didn't feel like really cooking....too hungry, I just wanted to grab-and-go.... I came up with this quick alternative using leftovers in the fridge.

Roasted Mushroom Tacos

3 - 4 cups of mushrooms (I used Baby Bellas), sliced
1 cup of corn (defrosted, if frozen; drained, if canned)
1/2 head shredded cabbage
1 avocado, mashed with lemon juice
8 corn tortillas, grilled or heated up
spicy taco sauce, optional
optional spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper

Put cleaned, sliced mushrooms in a skillet over medium with a little bit of water (1 - 2 Tablespoons). Let water soak in and then evaporate, 2 - 3 minutes, and then add a little more water, let evaporate out. Let mushrooms char a little bit, add some more water and cook until water has evaporated. Add seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne powder, if desired) and continue to cook until the mushrooms are where you want them to be.
Take one corn tortilla and layer mashed avocado, some mushrooms, small bit of cabbage, and then pile corn over the top. Add taco sauce over the top.
Serves 4

I served these with just refried beans on the side. These don't look like much, but two of them were surprisingly filling!

More later! :)