Follow me for tips to live a richer, simpler life! My family lives "better" for less and enjoys our everyday life - and yours can too!



Sunday, June 12, 2011

What's For Dinner This Week - A Week of Vegan Menus

I was stumped this week when I opened up my CSA basket - there was this large, big, something in my basket. I thought that it was turnips. I haven't eaten turnips but I have heard of them, so I started to do some "research" to see what exactly I could make with turnips (the only idea that I had was to mash them up). And that's when I discovered that I had been over-run by rutabagas!! They weren't turnips at all! I actually don't think that I had ever seen - or eaten - a rutabaga before now (well, actually, I still haven't!), but this week's menu will be FULL of rutabagas cooked different ways. So, I guess we will see how we like them best!!!


I was reading that a lot of people eat rutabagas boiled and mashed, but I may only be resorting to that method if I still have some left over at the end of the week. I also read that you can julienne and use them in salads (hmmm!). I will definitely be trying that.

With rutabagas on my mind and filling my crisper drawer, here's what I came up with for the week:

Monday
White Beans (with diced garlic and dried sage)
Sauteed Swiss Chard
Buttered Rutabagas
Quinoa

Tuesday
Basic Rutabaga Soup
Salad

Wednesday
Tostadas
Brown Rice
Mexican Salad

Thursday
Leftovers
Maple Glazed Rutabagas

Friday
Garden Burgers
Carrot Raisin and Pineapple Slaw

Notes:
  1. I am making the Quinoa and Brown Rice for this week today (since it takes a little longer to cook, especially the brown rice, it will be helpful to make a lot now and have it ready on those nights that we are eating it). Bonus: both the quinoa and brown rice can be put in a bowl with milk and heated up to eat just like oatmeal - fast, different, and EASY.
  2. Since I am cooking, I will also be making the soup tonight for Tuesday. When we get home Tuesday night, I can throw together a salad and have dinner on the table in about 15 minutes.
  3. The maple glazed rutabagas look like they come together fast, but *just in case*, I will be making them the night before.
  4. The carrot raisin and pineapple salad is something that I don't have a recipe for - I use a mandolin to julienne the carrots and then thrown in a handful or two of raisins and some diced or cubed (canned) pineapple - sometimes, I add a little vegan mayo, but sometimes, it's just good as is.
Have you ever eaten rutabagas?
How do you cook them?
What's the strangest-looking veggie you have ever eaten?

Thanks for all the comments on my last post about menus! I asked what you would / could do with left-over romaine lettuce and I got LOTS of good ideas!!
 In case you need some ideas check out these comments:
Coupon Chick stopped by to say that she would make romaine wraps!! (I never even thought of that, but it would be perfect!! My little one would love a new "take" on tacos.)
Clairity from Hip2BMom and Pinching Abe from Making Ends Meet said that given the recent weather, they would definitely be making salads.
Tiff from & Baby Blackwell Makes Three loves a good salad, too!
And, Christina from Spilled Milkshake was just honest - she said she didn't have any new ideas for ways to use romaine lettuce!
 
Thanks guys for your input!! :)
 
Have a great week! Happy Eating!
More later! :)